The new and improved 2014 magicJack Plus is the latest in the series of market leading internet calling devices available with a favorable price tag. Retaining the best features of its award-winning predecessor, magicJackplus, released in 2011-12, it steps up the game with better installation options and a wider array of features.
See our full step-by-step guide to installing the magicJack devices below with pictures from the mjreg.com site. This guide is more complete than any other site on the web or even the official www.mjreg.com site. Or see our quick install guide to get up and running ASAP without the extra details including pics.
The device itself, adds slightly to its weight and size, thanks to two USB ports and an additional SDIO interface to the side. These add to the existing Ethernet ports for phone and internet. Power adapter, Ethernet cable and USB extension cord round off the package. Functionality of the extra USB port and SDIO slot are still a mystery and the company has yet to announce plans for these extra features. One can only guess that the company plans a firmware upgrade to make these functional once they work out all of the details.
Image 1: The new Plus 2014 has additional USB ports and SDIO port
The installation procedure for Plus 2014 delivers on its pre-release buzz of making the computer redundant. Happily for the existing users, it still retains the necessary features for traditional three-step installation using a computer.
In the past installation, registration and activation was quite complex and caused people many issues. Included with the new device is an all-new web based install method. Simply use their MJREG site and follow all the prompts (as shown below) and you will have your device up and running in no time. This includes installation and activation of the device and setup of your new magicJack account.
Installation Steps & Use With A Computer
- Connect your MagicJack Plus 2014 to the computer using USB port and the Phone to other end of the MagicJack device using the Ethernet cable.
- For a windows device (PC, windows tablet), the MagicJack Plus software loads automatically. For MAC or iOS devices (iPhone, iPad), you will need to double click the Plus icon which will begin the installation.
Image 2: The new Plus 2014 setup with a computer
- If you’re a new user, click the blue button marked “Click Here Now” (under the text “To complete Registration”) in the left window of the installation screen and follow along the steps to register with your personal information (Image 3). You will get options to select a number of your choice during this process.
Image 3: The new MagicJack Plus 2014 app registration
- As a handy alternative, you can also download the magicJack app (called magic App) from Apple app-store or play-store and install on your mobile/tablet device. Once you select the relevant option (refer: Image 4) and finish installation, you’re ready to make calls using your device.
Image 4: The new Plus 2014 app installation
- The problem with this method is that you have to keep your laptop or computer ON as the primary device for the connection as long you are wanting to make or receive any calls. Tablets or Smartphones may also be used as internet devices.
Typically, for calls of longer duration, this could hinder the experience, as the computer may drift off to ‘power-saving’ or ‘hibernate’ mode, causing potential interruptions in service. Additionally, it also means there’d be higher power consumption as both internet modem and computer would need to be powered on for the duration of the call. While the benefits of making unlimited calls all over the Internet usually outweighs these problems, the option of being able to use the new device without the computer certainly means one less operational layer and better continuity in calls.
Do remember that even if you plan to use the device without a computer, you will need to connect to the computer once to register (if you’re a first time user) or transfer service (if you’re an existing user). The instructions to do so, including the information regarding registration, are available at the back of the device.
Installation Steps & Use Without A Computer
- Connect your device to the power adapter using USB port.
- Connect the internet modem or router to the device using the Ethernet cable, plugging in each end of the cable to the Ethernet ports on the devices.
- Plug in the desired telephone to the device.
- Plug in the power adapter to a power source and your hardware is ready to receive and make calls over internet.
- Open up your web browser and visit the mj register site at www.mjreg.com on your laptop, computer, tablet or smartphone. You can transfer service from an old device, or upgrade an existing account to add the Plus 2014, besides creating a brand new mj registration. To upgrade an existing account you will need to login to that existing magicJack account.
- The activation code is sent to you via an email when going through the steps at the MJ reg site. Do remember that the area code for location may not be available for your desired MJ number.
Image 5: The new MagicJack Plus 2014 set up without a computer
Tips To Remember During Setup
- During the registration process, the computer, tablet or smartphone used for registration must be on the same network as the Plus 2014 device.
- One of the frequent customer complaints involves Error 3002, which pertains to multiple device connectivity permissions for the modem. Before you invest in MagicJack, call your internet service provider (ISP) and ensure that your modem allows more than one device to access internet through it. Another option is to connect your device directly to one of the Ethernet ports of the router.
- If you own multiple devices and plan to ‘upgrade’ or transfer service, be advised that the process usually de-activates the older device and robs you of any left-over subscription time you might have accrued on the old device. Thus it may be prudent to create a new account instead.
- Support for the Windows 8 operating system is flaky. Unfortunately, the online support isn’t great either. Drivers developed by independent developers, downloadable at websites like this, come to rescue.
On the whole, the new Plus 2014 shows a marked improvement in flexibility of installation and device activation options with the ability to use the MJReg site. While for an existing user, it might be worth waiting until the WiFi options are fully active; for the new users, it provides an attractive combination of features, better device connectivity options and a friendly price-tag.
Advanced Installation Help
Outside of our advanced guide above, the box comes with an installation manual as well as video guidelines on YouTube.